Friday, October 14, 2011

Stir It Up!!


While I was at the food festival I met this super nice culinary student named Frank who was kind enough to give me a fellow student’s recipe for jerk marinade. A Jamaican fellow student! You can only imagine my excitement! I had the INS on the good Jamaican!!!

You may not know this about me, but I’m a big fan of Reggae music. But don’t ask me who I like because you may also not know that while I can probably sing every word to every song ever produced since 1960, I never know who wrote it, sang it or when! Josh regularly jokes that if college had been set to music I’d have breezed through!

So Wednesday night I turned my Pandora to my Reggae station and go to cooking. Truth is, however, I actually started the process on Monday night. I made the marinade Monday night, put the chicken in it Tuesday night and cooked it Wednesday night. I’m not sure its necessary to span it out like this, but I would recommend putting your chicken in the marinade the night before! And on Wednesday, we sat down to an amazing Jamaican meal that knocked our socks off!

Here’s the breakdown:

Marinade
5 scallions
5 sprigs of thyme,1  tbsp chopped
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp all spice
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
2 scotch bonnets
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 vinegar
1 onion
1/2 cup orange juice
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp grated ginger

Combine in a blender and puree into marinade. Makes 3 cups. Marinate your chicken overnight. Then get your grill screaming hot and grill it up. Easy peasy.

I also had a quick and easy rice dish with this.

Grilled Pineapple and Black Bean Rice
4 servings worth Uncle Ben’s Fast and Natural Brown Rice
1 pineapple
1 can black beans
¾ cup salsa

Cook your brown rice according to the directions. Cut off the outside, top and bottom of your pineapple. Then cut into 8 spears, core removed. Grill the pineapple and cut into small cubes. Rinse the black beans. Throw all of the ingredients into a large saucepan and warm over low heat stirring frequently. STIR IT UP!! <-- Click!! Make sure the beans and pineapple are heated through.
















This dinner was really really easy and full of big time flavor! And don’t forget to Stir It up!!!

Cheers Mon!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment