Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Here Fishy Fishy Fishy


I don’t know when it happened that I became a HUGE fish taco fan, but now I look back and cannot remember my life without them! Nine times out of ten I will chose a fish taco over any other kind. The problem is that in a lot of restaurants when you order fish tacos, they come beer battered and deep fried. Don’t get me wrong, these are delicious, but there are two problems with that…1) it is nooooot healthy and 2) I just don’t deep fry stuff at home. I don’t even think I have the equipment to do it! This, however, actually presents a different problem. Getting your fish tacos to be yummy and delicious without being a bland pile of mush! And friends, I have it DOWN!

After perfecting this recipe, Electra and I decided it was time for me to get out of law, move to Mexico and open a fish taco stand. Beers and tacos on the beach, does it get better? While I devise my master plan to do all of this, I guess I’ll just have to enjoy making them at home while I dream of the beach. Maybe I’ll head over to Castle Island and pretend!

So before I get started, you must know that without each and every one of these components, these tacos are no good. Especially the sauce, you must have the sauce. Since it is the most important ingredient, I will give you the recipe for it first! I got the recipe from a woman named “mabcat” on allrecipes.com. I have no problem pirating other people’s recipes but credit to her.

Also, the serving size for this recipe is 2-3 people, but the sauce will be good for many more than 2-3 servings. I keep it in the fridge for quick tacos another night.

Sauce Component
8 oz. fat free sour cream
½ cup adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
2 tsp. lime zest
2 Tbsp. lime juice
¼ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. Old Bay
s&p

Mix it all together, donezo!!

Fish Component
2-3 fish filets
*tilapia, cod, mahi and catfish work well but use whatever you like
Old Bay
Sprinkle the fish with Old Bay, grill, donezo! Make sure you spray the grill grates with oil and cook for about 4 minutes per side.

Toppings Component
Shredded Cabbage
*this is absolutely essential for proper texture
3 scallions, sliced small
lime wedges
cilantro
whole wheat flour tortillas, fajita size
*I warm these up directly on my gas stove burner



So basically you construct your taco however makes sense to you. Josh puts the sauce on the bottom, I put it on the top! Ultimately it tastes the same!

DONEZO! How easy is this? And I’m telling you, you’ll never have another disappointing fish taco experience again!




Salud!


No comments:

Post a Comment