Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pork Tenderloin & Apples


For unknown reasons, growing up I was not really a pork fan. Blasphemy for the foodie world, I know. However, as a kid, my mom did make one pork dish that I really loved! It was pork chops and apples. A Brendaz version of pork chops and applesauce I suppose.

As an adult newly on my own, I attempted to recreate this fairly simple, largely delicious dish. However, I failed miserably. Maybe I didn’t really fail, but perhaps its one of those dishes for me that I’d just rather my mom make for me. Either way, I didn’t feel terrific about my final product. Several years later, I decided I was going to make this for Josh. It had been such a favorite of mine my whole life and he is a huge pork lover. So I got on the horn with Brendaz and worked it out. They key that I had missed before was using bone in pork chops. Do not attempt this with boneless chops. It dries out way too much! Ick just thinking about it.

Fast forward to two weekends ago when my dad was in town. Saturday we went apple picking in the morning and grilled out at home that night. Dad really wanted a pork tenderloin so we got a package. The boys grilled while the girls made artichokes. The point of this story is that the package we got actually had two tenderloins in it. So we had apples and tenderloin left over! THAT’S A BINGO!! CLICK ME

So I decided that I would make pork tenderloin and apples! But here’s the thing, I really don’t like pork tenderloin in the oven (my mom bakes her chops and apples). It’s that dry ick thing with the tenderloin since there’s little fat. So I decided that the tenderloin would have to be grilled in order for me to stomach it. 


This meal comes in two parts. Then I threw in a baked potato because that’s what Brendaz would have done.

Baked Apples
5 cooking apples, cored and sliced
2 tsp sugar
1-2 Tbsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp butter in tiny cubes

Mix the first 3 ingredients in a bowl. Pour into a baking pan and sprinkle the butter cubes over top. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes.



Pork Tenderloin
1 pork tenderloin
A.A. Borsari Seasoned Salt
*Whole Foods in the meat section

Pre-heat your grill for a good 15 minutes. Liberally sprinkle all sides of the pork tenderloin with the seasoned salt. Grill for approximately 20 minutes (10 minutes per side). This is a good dish for a meat thermometer. I’d cook the tenderloin to 165 degrees in the middle. That’s somewhere between medium and well done….some would call it medium well *wink wink. For those of you who like it more rare, get down with your bad selves!! Let your tenderloin rest for about 10-20 minutes post grill. Slice and spoon your baked apples on top.

The contrast of salt and sweet on this is really something to write home about. I’d say Brendaz would love this as much as her version!

Cheers ya’ll!

No comments:

Post a Comment