Sunday, October 30, 2011

Orange Who?


Knock Knock! Who’s There? Banana. Banana Who?
Knock Knock! Who’s There? Banana. Banana Who?
Knock Knock! Who’s There? Orange. Orange Who? Orange you glad I didn’t say banana!

Womp Womp! I am so excited to tell you about the amazing orange themed dinner I made last week. I got the idea watching Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives one night where one of the diner cooks made orange honey butter for pancakes. Obviously I didn’t have the recipe but didn’t figure it would be too difficult.

So instead of regular pancakes, I wanted to make cornbread pancakes like an old friend’s Mimi used to make us when were kids. I had chicken thawed out that I wanted to use so I got a grilled orange chicken recipe from KitchenKing on allrecipes.com. Lastly, I was going to just have some greens to go with it. Truth is, I got so excited about the orangey possibilities that I got a little carried away, but it was all super duper. Josh was raving and he ended up eating 8 cornbread pancakes. Yeah I know!

So Here’s the Breakdown:

Cornbread Pancakes
1 box Jiffy mix

Mix according to the pancake directions on the side of the box. Heat a flat griddle on high heat. Pam Spray your flat griddle and pour ½ ladle batter per pancake. Let it cook until the side facing up is bubbling and then flip.

Orange Honey Butter
6 Tbsp. Butter
1 Tbsp. Honey
½ Orange, cut into quarters

Mix all ingredients into a food processor until semi-smooth. It won’t be completely smooth because you use the whole orange; peel and all. Put this delicious concoction on the hot cornbread pancakes.

Orange Grilled Chicken
½ cup orange marmalade
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
6 leaves fresh sage, torn up
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives

Put all but the chives into a small sauce pan and simmer, stirring constantly until thin and fully mixed together. Then stir in the chives. Let the sauce cool. Cut the chicken horizontally and marinate the chicken in the marinade for 30 minutes (or more if you have time). Grill on each side.

Orange Theme Salad
Mixed greens
Watermelon radish cut into triangles
Orange wedges
Cucumber, sliced in half moons
Pistachios

Dress with balsamic dressing.

I worried I may have gone overboard, but it was completely cohesive! This meal was a little slice of ORANGE HEAVEN!


Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment