Monday, October 24, 2011

Curry for People Who Don't Like Curry


I am a crazy Indian Food lover. However, I don’t really like making it. I just really enjoy my favorite Indian restaurants. In fact, I was in my little Indian happy place at the Brick Lane when I was in London! I am also really addicted to the magazine Real Simple. When these two favorites collided last week I ended up with a super quick and easy but very delicious curry meal!

Now don’t get me wrong…this was no Namaskar and it really wasn’t Indian food per se. But if you have a finicky eater that claims not to like Indian food, this would be a perfect meal to start them on.

Here’s the breakdown!

Red Curry Chicken Skewers
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1” cubes
¾ cup coconut milk
2 Tbsp. red curry paste
½ tsp cayenne pepper
*I added the cayenne b/c I like everything spicy
pinch of salt
bamboo skewers

Fresh Cilantro, Chopped

Whisk up the coconut milk, curry paste, cayenne and salt until its well mixed. Throw the mixture in a gallon Ziploc bag with the chicken. Real Simple says to let it marinate for an hour. I left it for 2 ½ but you could definitely leave it longer and next time I will!

Before you start cooking anything put your skewers in water to soak so they don’t burn up on the grill. Skewer your chicken pieces and grill for about 5 minutes per side. Put the left over sauce into a small sauce pan and cook thoroughly stirring regularly. Pour the sauce over the grilled chicken. I also served them with basmati rice, obvi!

Additionally, I made a snap pea dish (also in Real Simple). Basically, put a little bit of olive oil in a skillet, throw in your peas and sauté stirring frequently for about 5 minutes. Then add about 3 green onions sliced up into the pool and sauté for another 3 or so minutes, or until they wilt down.

Put all the kids on the plate together, sprinkle with cilantro and voila, tasty and easy curry that even people who don't love curry will enjoy!!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment