Thursday, August 23, 2012

Peachy Keen Pork


Lately I’m eating more protein than ever. For years I was convinced that a vegetarian heavy (not exclusive) diet would be a way for me to keep trim. But through lots of experimentation I find that upping the protein and veg is not only the way for me to get to the body I want but it is also assisting with my strength building and my overall focus, especially in the morning. I’ve also noticed that in the mornings I’m hungry for breakfast: as I should be considering the overnight fast. Which whether rational or not makes sense in my little brain as a good thing. Things seem to be in order for me in this way and I’m especially happy with my performance in the gym.

That said I’ve also taken a huge interest not in just what protein I am eating, but also what my protein is eating. I don’t know why it took me so long to care, but I’m really happy that I’m here now. So I’ve moved to grass fed beef which tastes great and helps me sleep at night. What’s that commercial about Happy Cows? ;) You know that I shop as much at the farmers’ markets as possible, but until last weekend, it didn’t occur to me that I should buy my protein there too. I got into a discussion with a woman from Stillman's at the Turkey Farm where they specialize in protein. In fact, they offer a meat CSA that I plan to join as soon as I eat all the stuff I bought from them last weekend. But the nice lady really talked to me and you could tell that she cared. How refreshing to talk to someone who cares so much about their product and the way their animals are treated. Now, I’m no member of PETA, but I do believe we should respect all living things even if we’re only going to eat them later. So the woman assured me that the beef was all grass fed as well as the lamb. But I mentioned to her that of course the pork eats grain. Well friends, I was wrong wrong wrong wrong! Apparently the piggies at Stillman eat the left over veggies and fruit that doesn’t sell in the market on top of their regular grazing diet. Whaaaat? She even said that lately they’d been eating peaches and that you can taste it!

Moments prior to this conversation I picked up 6 white peaches from Kimball Farms. If that’s not a sign from a great power, I don’t know what is. Thank you food gods for directing me! So a couple days later I made grilled pork chops with grilled peaches and baby greens. THE BABY GREENS I’VE BEEN GROWING IN MY WINDOW!



Here’s the breakdown

2” pork chops
white peaches
baby greens
*if you’re not growing them just buy something delicate
juice of half a lemon
olive oil
borsari seasoning
*you’ll find a pic of this on my blog from 10/20/11
cinnamon
coconut oil
olive oil
honey

If your coconut oil is solid, mix in some of the borsari. If not don’t. Sprinkle a liberal amount of borsari on your chops. You’ll think it’s too much but with a 2 inch chop, you need lots of seasoning. Let your chops sit for 10 to 15 minutes to come to room temperature. Preheat your grill to about 425 degrees if you have a thermometer and if not 15 minutes preheating should do it. Cut your peaches in half and remove the pits. Sprinkle them with cinnamon. Grill the chops for 5-6 minutes on each side. (This will give you a medium or medium well which I’m usually skeeved by with pork, but I know where my meat was coming from and I know that it’s been handled with care.) When you flip the chops put the peaches on the grill. Remove everything at one time. Meanwhile mix up baby greens with fresh lemon juice and an itty bit of olive oil. Slice up the peaches and stack them on the chop. Drizzle just a little bit of honey over the peaches and chop. Then stack up the greens. 

I mean I’m literally smiling while I type this. This dish made me so happy!

This meal was not only enlightening to me on how food can taste when it’s not mass produced in some plant, but was so delicious and I felt amazing eating it. Even felt a little awesome knowing I’d grown part of it! I recommend this meal to you with no doubt that you’ll absolutely love it. But please do yourself a favor and check into what you’re eating. We’re all obsessively at the gym and getting fit, but if we’re fueling our bodies with ick, what are we really accomplishing?





Cheers to your health!

No comments:

Post a Comment