Thursday, August 2, 2012

Guilt Free Pumpkin Muffins


There are very few people in this life who know or have seen my breakfast habits. This includes Josh. The only person who really knows is my home girl Electra. Why you ask? Because for 4 years staring at her across my cube, she watched me eat breakfast. Or instructed me to do so if I was cranky. Which she’ll tell you wasn’t very often because I’m a ray of sunshine in the morning. Ok, maybe she wouldn’t tell you that. In fact, what she might actually tell you is that I’m pretty much a mime until I’ve eaten breakfast and had a full and very strong coffee! But she loved that about me, right E?

That said, she would also tell you that post decision to not be a pork chop, you’d never see me eat a bagel, muffin, waffle or other type of serious breakfast carb! Not that I don’t like them. When I was a teenager and my metabolism was something out of a fairy tale, I ate a bagel or two every day! Alas, 30 approaches and I just don’t eat those kinds of carbs. Until now!

I’ve recently cut mostly all wheat and grains out of my diet. While that’s a story for another day, I’ll say that it’s been the easiest thing I’ve ever changed about my diet. But I was craving some sustenance with a breadish nature last week! That’s when I learned I could make muffins with almond flour! Sweet mother of breakthrough! Day saved!

I found a recipe on the basics for making muffins without wheat and per usual modified it Meagy style!

Here’s the breakdown – Pumpkin Muffins:


1 ½ cups almond flour
¾ cup canned pumpkin
3 large eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground clove
1 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp salt 
2 Tbsp honey
*Total approximation here, I just squirted some out of my Bear!
2 tsp almond butter
2 Tbsp sliced almonds
¼ cup golden raisins
*Another approximation, just dumped some in
Pumpkin seeds
Coconut oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat muffin tins with coconut oil. I used two tins that hold  6 muffins each. Mix all the ingredients except the pumpkin seeds and pour evenly into tins. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top. I actually didn’t do this and when I added them at the end they just bounced off! Bake for 20-25 minutes on the middle rack. You know your oven, so underestimate and then check. The last thing you want to do is over cook them! Done and done!




Now, I did not eat one of these every day. If I had a hard evening workout, I’d have one with an egg filled breakfast the next day. Or if I had a very early workout, I’d eat one afterwards as second breakfast! Hey E, what about onesies!? Anyway, just because they’re better for you than wheaty muffins from Dunks doesn’t mean you should mow them! But you definitely should enjoy them without guilt when you do eat them!

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment