Thursday, August 16, 2012

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish BLUE FISH


This summer, I’ve really embraced the nice weather. I think being from the south spoils you a bit as far as the sunshine goes. But after 7 years in Boston, I am definitely a summer reveler! Not that this past winter was bad in terms of snow and cold, but this summer, I’ve made an avid attempt to be more active specifically outdoors! Yes, I always get workouts in and that’s active, but I mean getting outside and doing fun things that keep me from sitting on my couch or cruising the Natick Collection!

So on recommendation from my overly active personal trainer and fitness guru, Anthony Ortiz, I ventured to the North Shore for some stand up paddle boarding. Against the advice of my hair dresser citing the abundant presence of Great White Sharks in the area this summer. But that’s the Cape, so eeehhhh….took it on to Beverly!

Paddle boarding was awesome! Not just normal awesome, in fact, I plan to go again in a week, but I digress. One of the most awesome parts of the trip to Beverly was a pit stop at a local farmer stand. You know them; the kind on the side of the road. It was at this stop I found wild hand picked blueberries! What a treat. If you’ve seen these, you know they’re teeeeny weeeeny and super sweet! Much better than the ones we get in the regular grocery. I mean, they’re hand picked for goodness sake! So I used half of them to make some wheat free blueberry muffins. But what I concocted with the rest of them was so delicious it made me smile and hum while I ate it!

At the Union Square Farmers’ Market earlier that morning, I picked up some other beauts that I thought I’d share with you. They’re called fairy tale eggplants. They’re so purple and sooo cute! The man who sold them to me suggested just throw them right on the grill, so that’s what I did with some asparagus to double up on the veg that night!





I eat a lot of fish, so I’m constantly trying to change up the flavors. This time, I decided to make a blueberry sauce to go with my mahi.

Here’s the breakdown
2 mahi fillets
1 cup wild blueberries
1 Tbsp honey
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp chopped fresh mint
s&p
coconut oil

Put oil on your mahi fillets and salt & pepper them. Do the same with the veggies. Let them sit. Turn on your grill and let it heat up for 15 minutes or so. Meanwhile, put the blueberries, lemon juice and honey in a small sauce pan. Cook on medium heat until it starts to break down. With a spoon press down on some of the berries to make them less round. Stir frequently until the sauce thickens then stir in a pinch of salt and pepper. Throw you fish and veggies on the grill (4-5 minutes a side for the fish, just a hair less time for the vegetables, but flip them every so often). Then drizzle the blueberry sauce on the fish. You may need to add a bit of water to the sauce if it gets too thick, but don’t worry, the berries are so flavorful, you won’t water down the flavor at all! Then mix in the chopped fresh mint with the heat off. Everything onto a plate and voila! Couldn’t be easier!



It was a very merry farm dinner; the kind I love best! And I held on to the left over blueberry sauce and plan to make a salad dressing with it. Stay tuned!

Salud!


No comments:

Post a Comment