Thursday, September 15, 2011

Peas Pweeease!


PEAS. Stop. What is your first thought? IIIIIIIII know what it is. Your first thought is of smushy canned peas. The ones your mother made you eat when you were a kid. Likely your mental image of them is a grayish color not found in nature. If you have this memory, and don’t deny it you know you do, you probably also have a memory of the texture and maybe a memory of gag reflex! Oh crap, in my time blogging, I’ve forgotten to tell you that I’m a psychic!

Now I’d like you to release this image from your mind. I know it’s hard but I’ll start a support group for you…ATBP, “Adults Traumatized by Peas”. Now I’d like you to try and imagine a delicious vegetable called a pea!

Not too long ago, I picked up some shelling sweet peas. These are the same as the peas in the can except fresh and in pods, and not disgusting. So I cooked them on instinct of how it might work and served them to a VERY skeptical husband who is also a card carrying member of the ATBP.

Here’s the breakdown:

2 or 3 lbs shelling peas
*this is really variable and completely up to you, if you want more by all means go for it!!
Chives
*use as much as you like, but don’t skimp too much, its really good
Leeeeeeetle Bit-a-buttah
*don’t’ shoot me…a) I’m Southern b) Its not that much
s&p

This really doesn't do them justice!
Ready for this….this is so easy! Shell the peas. Put some water in a sauce pot and bring to a boil. While it’s coming to a boil, chop up your chives. Throw the peas in the water. Let them cook for about 4-5 minutes. This is the key to making them different from the canned kind!!!! Keep them crisp! Strain them and throw them in a bowl with the chives and an itty bitty bit of butter. Toss all the ingredients and add s&p to taste but be careful with these, don’t over do it. You want the star to be the peas!

Done and done! And I guarantee you’ll love them! I have a converted and completely rehabilitated husband!

Yaaaay peas!

No comments:

Post a Comment