Thursday, July 21, 2011

Southern Girl, Livin' in a Foodie World!


A southerner by origin, I am, by the grace of whatever god you may or may not believe in, an eater. I am also a feeder. We feed people down south. Actually, I distinctly remember a friend and co-worker losing her grandmother and when asked by my boss why she was coming in to work that day replied, “Don’t worry, I made her cornbread!” As I said I am a feeder by nature. I grew up eating ridiculously delicious and always three course dinners prepared by my mother who, is acknowledged by all my friends and family, to be the best cook! She’s old school though. Taught by my grandmother who was probably taught by her German mother who was….well you get the point. Females in my family learn from the best just by watching and eating. I’ve spent countless hours of my life watching my grandma roll out and hand cut noodles for broth. These noodles incidentally are flippin’ awesome and the talk of every Montgomery Thanksgiving for decades! That said, I have in my 28 years consuming everything under the sun become someone who seriously enjoys food.

My brother and I making those famed noodles as kids
It must be noted that I grew up eating southern food. I’m not sure how my German ancestry translated into fried chicken, cornbread, black eyed peas and greens, but I believe it’s the combination of historically big eating societies that makes me the eater I am today. I also attribute this to the fact that in my house not eating your dinner was never an option. Dinner was what my mom cooked and you ate it. Period. No PBJs if you weren’t happy with your spinach! And I sincerely believe that my mother cooked some of the staankiest veggies on the planet just to drive home the point! Therefore, I literally eat everything.

You can imagine how moving to the Big City (cough cough wink wink) developed my palette and opened me up to a world of food I had never known! You can’t, however, imagine my excitement to try EVERYTHING! I currently live in Somerville. Right on the edge of some of the finest eating one can hope for these parts! (Thick southern drawl)

I have spent the last 6 years of my life becoming what I consider to be a food adult! I have traveled some and tasted food in some of the best restaurants in the world. De Kas, La Cinq, even our own little Craigie on Main! I have also eaten in places you’d be scared to walk in but left in shear amazement! Some places I’ve loved, some I’ve hated…no…take that back, I’ve never hated a single meal in my entire life. Lets go with favored less!

After really thinking about the wondrous journeys food and eating has taken me on over the course of my life and how it has shaped me into the person I am today; literally and figuratively, I decided it was time for me to share!

This is my blog. I hope not only to get you thinking about how food fits into your life but also what you might eat next!

1 comment: