Thursday, July 28, 2011

So Much Time and So Little To Do. Wait a Minute. Strike That. Reverse It. -Willy Wonka


Unless you are hiding in a cave with Bilbo Baggins you undoubtedly have evenings where you do not have one spare minute to get yourself fed. Most often on these nights, we, as shamefully busy people, go out and let someone else feed us. Now DO NOT mistake what I’m saying…I laaahooove it when someone else feeds me. However, at the end of a dinner out, what time have you actually saved yourself? Likely you’ve hovered over people sitting at tables in the bar all the while starving to death waiting for a meal that will most likely make you feel guilty or should! Then you get home, plop on the couch because you’re exhausted, stuffed, ill or a combo and the laundry still ain’t doing itself!

So friends, for those of you that can anticipate nights like that, I have the PERFECT remedy!

On my first time meeting my super duper duper duper (mhmm get the point) friends Gregory and Jon they made this killah slaw-like salad that I legit wanted to fill a bathtub full of and swim around in. The best part about this salad is that its sans mayo and therefore, much healthier than that white stuff you get at KFC! AND it tastes better to boot! Imagine tasting the veggies in your cole slaw! The key to this salad is that it has to be made at least a half day before you eat it! So I made it the night before while I was chopping veggies for that night’s dinner. I paired it with some beautiful organic broccoli from my dogma box (thank you Boston Organics). So the night before I left the broccoli, fully in tact, olive oiled it, s&p’d it, threw it in a Ziploc and into the fridge for tomorrow. I did the same with my chicken. Put it in some ***BBQ sauce in a Ziploc and into the fridge.

***Ok, quick tangent. I said, “some BBQ sauce”. However, I must correct my poor description. This is actually THE BBQ sauce. It’s Rudy’s from Rudy’s in Texas. When my brother and sister in law lived in Austin, we went to this place at least once per trip. I will proudly admit there were trips to Austin where 2 stops at Rudy’s were necessary. Anyway, this sauce is the best. It just is what it is. If you are from TX, you know. If you are not, you should just trust me! And special tip, you can order it online. Justin & Chelsy started sending it to us in bulk and now it’s a habit!

Ok back to the dinner. So with everything in plastic in the fridge, we came home from work on one of those have no time nights, fired up the grill, grilled all but the cole slaw and dinner was ready in about 15 minutes! Now how’s that for fast! Noted benefits as I see them 1) Its super fast 2) Its all delish 3) Its pretty healthy…maybe not the sauce, but caaaahm aaahn and last but not least…..drum roll please……IT’S A THOUSAND DEGREES IN NEW ENGLAND AND WE DON’T HAVE AIR CONDITIONING…..NO HEAT ON IN THE HOUSE! WOOOT WOOOT!

So here’s the breakdown:

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
*I cut these in half horizontally to portion control and also to cook it faster
Rudy’s
Broccoli
Olive Oil
*Don’t overdue this, you don’t need much
S&P

Gregory & Jon’s Health Salad
1/2 medium green cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, shredded
½ green pepper, sliced paper thin in small strips
½ English cuke, sliced paper thin
½ onion, sliced paper thin
a handful of fresh oregano, chopped

¼ c. sugar 
*I used less, but my math skills will not enable me to divide properly
1/8 c. water
¼ c. olive oil
3/8 c. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. salt

So I hand chopped all of these vegetables. BE SMARTER THAN ME! Put all of it individually into a food processor (that’s what Jon does). Mix up the sugar, water, olive oil, vinegar and salt. Pour over salad and toss. Refrigerate overnight.

This stuff was so delish I ate on it leftover for 4 days! And its still good 4 days later! Please, hold your applause!













Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment