Sunday, July 31, 2011

Cuban Pete

Josh and I have a friend who we adore (Kristina), who has a boyfriend we adore (Matt). Several weekends ago Kristina or Xtina as we very affectionately call her and Matt came over and brought some steak tips to grill. Both of them were walking around calling them crack tips. I was all confused. So I ask Matt, “What cut of the cow is the crack tip?” I am literally laughing at myself as I type this. Xtina’s response is, “Meags, they’re just really good and they’re kind of like crack!” Doh!

So these crack tips come from Idylwilde Farms, which Matt’s family owns. Josh and I had been talking about going over there for months, but never made it. Well, since the crack tips were gone, we geared up for a road trip and headed to Acton. I’m aware that Acton isn’t far, but we’re city dwellers and rarely make it to the burbs!

Before I get into today’s recipe, I must plug this amazing farm stand. We walked into this thing and whoaaa buddy…It was HUGE! They had everything. This place carries meats, every kind of produce you’ve ever wanted, cheeses, nuts, dried fruits, plants, peanut butters, errrrything! I’d also like to commend them on the signs on the produce. We were looking for a hot pepper, hotter than a jalapeno but not as hot as a habanero. Idylwilde Farms puts signs on all of their produce letting you know what it is, but on their hot peppers they label with scoville units! BINGO! So we also picked up these amazingly beautiful strawberries. I was so excited about them because they looked like the ones you pick out of the garden. Not the mammoth steroided out strawberries we get at Stop & Shop. Poor Josh looks at me and says, “But they’re so small.” I quickly explained to him why that’s the best part!

We took home all of our treasures and a few days later were making dinner and I decided we needed a cocktail. Like a fresh one, a seriously yummy one! That’s when the proverbial light bulb went on over my head. We had also picked up mint at Idylwilde. STRAWBERRY MOJITOS!

Cuban Pete - Click!

So here’s the breakdown for 1 drink:

3 whole sprigs worth of mint
*I like a lot of it, so if you want to use 2 feel free it won’t hurt it

4 or 5 of these farm size strawberries, super ripe so they’ll mush easily
*If you’re using normal strawberries, a) I’m sorry and b) Don’t use as many

1/2 Tbsp. sugar


Juice of 1/2 a lime

2 shots silver rum

Splash of club soda

Put the mint, cut up strawberries and sugar in a martini shaker. Smash them all together until the strawberries are more like a puree and the mint leaves are confetti-like. Squeeze in lime juice. Pour in the rum. Fill the shaker with ice. Shake, pour. Then put a little splash of soda on top!

HEALTH FACTOID
Mint contains good amounts of Vitamin A, C, B12, folic acid, thiamine and riboflavin, as well as, minerals such as, calcium, copper, fluoride, iron, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium and zinc. You already know my green theory!

We almost did Miami proud! Salud!

Oh and do yourself a favor and get over to Idylwilde Farms!



No comments:

Post a Comment