Thursday, August 30, 2012

This salad is BOMB!


Lately I’ve had a serious craving for a sub sammich. Since I’m not eating wheat, this really presents a problem. I’m not really a sandwich eater, so the no wheat thing hasn’t bothered me in that respect. But I do love the occasional sub. And a couple weeks ago I was really feeling the lack of wheat and all I wanted was a giant sub. So I got to thinking about what’s in a sub that I love and how can I make it into something I won't feel guilty about eating. 

For several years of my very early childhood, I lived in Philly. And I am a huge fan of the cheesesteak! In fact, when my family moved to Kentucky, one of my parents' old friends used to ship us the rolls for them so we could make authentic ones at home! I then decided to rethink the cheesesteak and turn it into a healthy but delish alternative.

What I came up with was a salad that had all the flavors I love from that oooey gooeey unhealthy sandwich. A steak bomb (as they call them here in New England) salad! This recipe serves 3 STARVING people.

Here’s the breakdown:
3 Portobello mushroom caps
1 red onion
2 green peppers
mixed greens
shredded Kerry Gold cheddar cheese
*I use this because it’s grass fed dairy
1 avocado
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
olive oil
s&p
¼ cup red wine vinegar
Montreal steak seasoning
Worcestershire sauce

Marinate the whole Portobello caps in a gallon size Ziploc bag with Montreal seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Let sit as long as it takes to prep everything else. Slice the red onion into ½” slices. Cut the green peppers in half and take out the seeds. Grill the green peppers, onions and mushrooms for approximately 4-5 minutes per side. When you flip the mushrooms, sprinkle the shredded cheddar on top to melt it. Meanwhile, smash avocado in red wine vinegar. Put mustard, avocado mix and just more than ¼ cup of olive oil in a salad dressing container. Shake vigorously. Add salt and pepper. Taste it. If you need more olive oil, add it. You'll know if its too acidic. But be careful, you won’t need too much oil because the avo is fatty. When it tastes right to you, toss it into the mixed greens. Cut up the green peppers, mushrooms and onion into strips. Lay them over the dressed greens. Voila!



This is a hearty hearty salad. And it actually tastes a lot like a steak bomb! I served it with a piece of grilled chicken because Josh really needs more food than that. But for me it was really enough as its own dinner! 

No comments:

Post a Comment