Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Paleo Spaghetti


In August I was in Las Vegas with my girls for an unbelievable girls weekend! I really cannot divulge any details, as you well know! However, what I can say is that while I was there, my friend Missy, personal trainer at I Luv My Body Fitness in San Francisco, was telling me about these amazing results she had gotten from 30 days of Paleo challenge. We were chatting quite a bit about it, but I wasn’t really sold. Mostly because when I shared my fresh white peach with her she almost had a meltdown on how delicious it was because she hadn’t had any fruit/sugar for 30 days. You know how much I love my farmers’ market stuff. And yes, I traveled to Vegas with a peach, stop with your judgment! But I will say she looked amazing although I’d argue she was always beautiful!

So fast forward to the present and I have “liked” a Facebook page that I connected to through Bryen Pinkard, you guys know him because of my cleanse posts. The page is The Paleo Coach. One of her recent posts was a picture of paleo spaghetti. Basically you replace traditional spaghetti noodles with spaghetti squash. Now, I’m not paleo but I am interested in any foods that taste great and make me feel good. Besides the fact that I’m a squash fanatic! So I was sold at go!

I tried her recipe last night with a little bit of change. Hey, I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t add my own touch. But let me just say, it was great! I was a bit concerned that the squash would be too sweet. However, I was wrong. I think mostly because I make my own spaghetti sauce and there’s no sugar in it, so it balanced out.

Here’s the breakdown

Sauce:
Please see my recipe from 9/12/11

1 package ground lean turkey
*this is usually just over a pound
garlic powder

1 large spaghetti squash

After you’ve made the sauce, or defrosted it as my recipe makes so much I freeze it for easy use later, sprinkle with garlic and brown the ground turkey, then drain and add the sauce. Warm all the way and turn off the heat. Put the whole squash in the microwave for 4 minutes. This will make it easier to cut it in half. Then cut it in half lengthwise. Put one half face down in a glass dish with about ½ cup water in the bottom. Microwave for 8 minutes. Repeat with other half of the squash. Then put both halves face up in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Take out the squash and with a fork “shred” the squash into “noodles”. This will require you to run the fork across the short ends. This is unbelievably easy, so if you’re having trouble, shred the other way. Put your sauce back on high heat quickly heating through. Put the “spaghetti” on a plate and top with sauce.


Add A Green Salad


If you’re thinking this sounds is ridiculously easy, you’d be right! Especially if your sauce is already made! And let me just say, I didn’t miss the traditional noodles at all! In fact, my body even felt better post meal than if I’d eaten pasta! And a skeptical husband really enjoyed it too!

Try it friends, even if you’re not paleo. It’s good for you!

Cheers and BIG THANKS TO THE PALEO COACH! Check her out on Facebook at


No comments:

Post a Comment