Thursday, February 7, 2013

What's In Your Lunchbox?

If you've been reading the blog over the last few weeks or noticed my blogging, or lack thereof, in April and May last year you know that my job keeps me insanely busy. The nature of my job regularly has me on the road or at events where eating a healthy lunch is a real challenge. This is especially true since I don't eat sandwiches much, not because I don't eat wheat, but mostly because I just don't really like them. The other lunch problem I suffer from is that I am so finicky about wanting to eat exactly what I want, which regularly changes from the time I pack my lunch to the time I eat it! Don't call me high maintenance haha Knowing all this about myself, I decided to take control of the situation and over the summer I picked up a HUGE lunch box so that I could always have food with me and a variety of it no matter where I was or what I was doing. 

Just about a year ago, I filled you guys in on my childhood nostalgia and love for open face tuna salad on toast. I always have cans of tuna in the house just in case of a pinch, but I hardly ever eat them. Since they were piling up, I decided to use them for lunch. However, I wanted to try to cut down the sugar from traditional tuna salad and also maybe transform my childhood favorite into a more adult flavor with a few healthier things in it.

Here's What I Came Up With:

1 can white tuna in water, drained
1/4 - 1/2 apple chopped small
1 celery stalk, diced small
1.5 Tbsp raisins
1/2 Tbsp finely diced nuts
*I used a mix of some I had left over from cooking
1/4 tsp hot madras curry powder
1 Tbsp mayo, paleo mayo or 1/2 avocado, mashed up
*Simply, you need fat, you decide which you use

Mix everything except the fat in a bowl. Its important to mix all the curry powder around before mixing in the fat. You don't want clumps of curry powder. 


Picture's not great, but it taste great, swear!

I eat this with a green salad and that's it. Done and done! It's simple, interesting and healthy! What more can a finicky girl ask for? 

Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment