Thursday, February 28, 2013

RoseBerry Mahi Skewers

So this weekend in my house we decided that the chore....I mean joy, of cooking should be shared a little more evenly. Don't get me wrong, I adore cooking! You know this. I love my job, but given the opportunity to build an amazing professional kitchen and join the cast of Travel or Food Network, I'd be done and done! Of course I'd still volunteer for my beloved American Cancer Society. But all this said, I'm still waiting on that call from Anthony Bourdain and Bobby Flay so for now, I work. And when I say work, I mean things are ramping the heck up and my hours are nutso! So again, as much as I love cooking, doing it every night is getting to be much too taxing!

So Josh and I sat down to make a menu for the week knowing we were sharing the cooking and I got a chance to really think up something I've not made or eaten. And with the added bonus of only having to come up with 3 meals for the week instead of 6, I was really able to think! What I came up with was creative, colorful and just plain delish albeit a little labor intensive....a little. Don't be skurred!

Here's the breakdown:

2 mahi mahi fillets
3/4 pint raspberry
1 Tbsp fig balsamic vinegar
*regular balsamic would be just fine, I didn't have any
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp honey
2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
bamboo skewers

Put the raspberries in a bowl with the vinegar. Let it sit overnight. Then either in a food processor or with an immersion blender (hand blender) blend that up. Add the oil and blend again. Then stir in the rosemary and honey. You may want to quickly warm the honey in the microwave to loosen it up. Cut the mahi into chunks and put in the mixture in a gallon size Ziploc bag. Leave for a few hours. In meantime soak the skewers in water to keep them from burning. Skewer the fish and grill on each side for 3 minutes a side. Put the excess marinade in a sauce pan and heat until it thickens up. Serve poured on or beside the fish.

I served this with a similarly flavored and colored veggie that I was myself pretty skeptical about, but it was bomb!

Here's the breakdown:

4 small red beets, cooked and diced moderately small
2 zucchini, diced
1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1/2 cup almonds, chopped fine
*I used the food processor for this
1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
Radicchio cups

Melt the coconut oil over medium low heat and add rosemary. Infuse the oil slowly. When it gets fragrant (2 min or so) add the zucchini and crank up the heat. Toss it around initially then leave it alone for a few minutes to brown slightly. Then toss it again and repeat. In a separate pan, sauté the beets slightly to get them hot, but not to brown. Put all of this in a bowl with the almonds and toss gently so as not to dye the zucchini red! I served it in a radicchio cup for looks! But it's great either way. The almonds really really change the consistency and the flavors marry well!

We loved both and Josh hates beets....or that's what he keeps telling me anyway even though he mowed them down this week!

Enjoy and salud!




No comments:

Post a Comment