Friday, November 2, 2012

Falling for Fall

With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, I am in quite a festive mood! And for us southerners, festivity and holiday means food! Needless to say, I’ve been looking forward to last night’s dinner since I went shopping for it on Sunday. I wanted something warm and seasonal and that’s just what I planned for the future of a fabulous acorn squash! So just before I headed out to my training session, I put the squash in the oven to roast while I got my fitness on. In hindsight, maybe that wasn’t the best idea to leave the oven on with a highly sensitive smoke detector, but I was almost to the gym when I had that revelation, so I crossed my fingers! Anyway the cranky retired fireman next door would unhappily handle an emergency so no big deal! If you’ve ever heard stories of my neighbor, you know he’s crazy as hell! So back to my yummy festive dinner.
Acorn squash with mushroom mix:
1 acorn squash, cut in half and seeded
3.5 oz shitake mushrooms, diced
8 oz baby bella mushrooms, diced
1 small onion, diced
½ zucchini, diced
Dried Thyme
Ground sage
Coconut oil
Olive oil
s&p

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Rub olive oil onto the squash, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast the squash for about 45 minutes or until soft. When the squash is almost done, melt a table spoon of coconut oil in a skillet, add mushrooms, zucchini and onion to a pan. Toss in the oil and sprinkle liberally with salt, pepper, thyme and sage. Toss around and sauté until the veggies are cooked. About 8 minutes. Then scoop the mushroom mix into the bowl of the squash. This is seriously delicious! In fact, while I ate it, I decided that this would be a PERFECT alternative to stuffing on Thanksgiving!





We all know that I’m a protein eater, so I paired the squash dish with a poultry seasoning inspired piece of mahi-mahi. And I swear, it worked perfectly as a Big Eater Small Body early Thanksgiving!



Pre Cooked
Rosemary & Prosciutto Grilled Mahi:

2 mahi-mahi fillets
6 slices prosciutto
4 sprigs fresh rosemary
Olive oil
Pepper

Pre-heat your grill for about 1 minutes. Sprinkle pepper on each side of the fish. On one side place 2 full sprigs of rosemary on each fillet. Then wrap all of it up with 3 pieces of prosciutto each. Drizzle the outside with a wee bit of olive oil so it doesn’t stick to the grill. Finally grill on each side for about 4-5 minutes.

These two dishes went perfectly together and with all the seasoning it was as comforting as Thanksgiving, but muuuuch healthier! And the prosciutto gets crispy….BONUS!!!! 

Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment