Thursday, September 27, 2012

Who Says It's Left Overs?

It was a clean out the cupboard kind of evening. My veggies from the week were getting wilty and I needed to use the stuff I had. This happens every so often and usually I come up with something that not only makes me happy to eat because it’s yummy but also that whole past life from WWII. Waste not want not! So my end of week veg list consisted of baby kale greens, mixed greens, two ears of corn, ¾ tomato and two scallions. Clearly I was having salad! But I’m a protein eater, so I wanted some kind of meat. Lucky for me I had half a giant hanger steak in the freezer from Stillman at the Turkey Farm. Yes, grass fed! So after defrosting, I put the steak in a Ziploc with fig balsamic vinegar and left it overnight.

When I was in Kentucky last, I stopped into this place called Stuartos Olive Oil that specializes in vinegar, olive oil and salts. While there, I picked up this amazing espresso coarse salt. I figured that would pair really nicely on the grill with the fig balsamic. DO NOT ask me how I come to these decisions. Sometimes they come out great, other times, not. But the answer is always no if you don’t ask the question. So I tried this out.

Here’s what you’ll need:

Mixed greens
Baby kale
2 scallions, sliced
1 red tomato, or in my case ¾ tomato
2 ears of corn
Fig balsamic vinegar
Espresso salt
1lb hanger steak

After marinating the steak in vinegar overnight, I pressed a liberal amount of espresso salt onto both sides of the steak. Then cranked the grill until it was screaming hot and grilled the steak about 5 minutes per side. Meanwhile, I stacked up my veggies onto salad plates. The corn I boiled for 13 minutes. Not 12, not 14, trust me, 13 minutes. Then I cut it off the cob and mixed with about 1 tbsp of butter. Yup, I said it! I spooned the buttered corn over the salad. After letting the meat sit for about 5 minutes to redistribute the juices, I sliced it thinly on the bias. This is important for the proper texture, especially for hanger steak. Otherwise its a chewy mess, yuuuuck! Top the whole thing with pieces of the steak.

Because of the amazing coffee tasting salt and the butter, you will not need additional dressing for this salad.

It was pretty outstanding! I especially liked the charred ends of the steak which were nutty and complex! I suggest this for a quickie meal and with the exception of a teeny bit of grass fed butter, it’s healthy! It was definitely different, but my taste buds were totally on board and yours will be too!





Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment