Thursday, September 6, 2012

Green Eggs & Ham BESB Style!

I’m hooked watching the Democratic National Convention this week so I’m offering a small recipe that is not only delicious but packed full of veggie at a meal we rarely eat a lot of vegetables! What meal is that? Breakfast. Not too long ago in an attempt to get some more substantial veggies at breakfast time I looked in the fridge to see what I could put with eggs. What did I find? Asparagus. Welp, that was the only choice so I did what I could.

It was a little bit made up with what was fast and what I had. But the combo of asparagus and eggs would obviously be better with bacon, right? Isn’t everything?

Here’s the breakdown for one person:

5 stalks of asparagus
2 eggs
2-3 slices center cut bacon
Coconut oil
s&p

Fry or bake your bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towel and cut into small pieces, bacon bits, if you will. Then cut the asparagus into small pieces (1/2 inch long pieces). Sauté the asparagus in a little bit of coconut oil in a pan for 4-5 minutes on medium-high heat. In another pan cook two eggs over easy. Over easy is just a couple minutes on the first side and then when I flip the egg, I normally turn the heat off a few seconds after flipping and let sit until cooked. The key is to keep the yolks runny. To plate this, put the asparagus down first, then the eggs, then sprinkle with salt and pepper and finally sprinkle the bacon bits on top.





This was really delicious and I usually pair any breakfast with Amazing Grass brand Green SuperFood mixed up in a glass of water, juice or almond milk, so this was veggie laden! Which not only makes me feel great, but also fueled me for the morning without getting hangry before lunch!!! Try it even if it scares you, I bet you’ll love it!



               Salud!


No comments:

Post a Comment