Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Salad To Make Strawberry Shortcake Put Down the Junk Food!


She's so cute, I can hardly stand it!



Every once in a blue moon, I manage to sweet talk my way into a grocery trip to Whole Foods. This does not happen too often for big shopping. When I was cleansing I snuck down there for beets and some other things I was eating quite a bit of. But suffice to say shopping for all my groceries at Whole Foods is a bit outside of what’s reasonable financially! Not to mention that place is a ZOO so going requires the mental capacity of a monk!

Last week I received an avocado in my organics box. I’m a huge fan and normally I put it on a turkey burger or make some guacamole. But I was really interested in another fate for my beautiful avocado! So I found this great recipe on All Recipes submitted by nkmelvin. And I took myself to Whole Foods for organics to accompany it!

They actually made this recipe into a salsa and served it with tortilla chips. But this is BIG EATER small body and around here, we try to stay away from fried chips no matter how much we love them. So I chunked everything up a bit larger and made it a lettuce-less salad. And I thought of my girl Missy the whole time because I’ve legit never met another individual who loves avo as much as her! So Miss, I hope you try and enjoy this!

Here’s the breakdown:

1 avocado, chopped in large chunks
2 cups strawberries, chopped in half or quarters for the large ones
¼ cup red onion, diced small
½ jalapeno, minced
*I use the mini food processor for this
2 handfuls fresh cilantro, chopped
juice of 1 lime
fresh ground pepper

Throw everything in a bowl and serve. The recipe actually calls for far less cilantro, but I love the stuff, so adjust to your taste.




You should know that I’m regularly trying to disguise salad so that Josh will eat it. He has a tendency of eating around the “bits” of the salad. And since there are no greens or lettuce in this, I wondered if he’d just stare at the bowl and push the “bits” around with his fork. But EUREKA…he loved it. Maybe less option for his future!

Either way, I definitely recommend this as a great side or even a fabulous summer lunch. In my mind, it is summer and there’s a margarita on the table next to it!

Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment