Monday, January 30, 2012

A Tuna Among Steaks

I have mentioned in the past that as a child I detested seafood and fish of all kinds. This was an almost truth. As a child I absolutely loved tuna fish salad! You know, the stuff in the can with mayo and sweet pickle relish. I have vivid memories of sitting in the living room watching Sesame Street and my mom calling me in for tuna on toast! An open face sangwich of tuna salad! And to this day, despite my slight embarrassment to admit this, I still love tuna on toast, open face! However, in my older age, tuna in the real fish form has become one of my faves. However, it’s not something I cook often. I love tuna sushi and I like it out, but short of going down to the seaport, it’s really tough to find good quality tuna that I want to eat. Forget about getting it at the regular grocery store. And honestly, I’d rather eat good tilapia than a watery tuna steak from Stop and Shop. Fortunately, now that I work in Acton, a trip to Idylewild Farms is super easy. I’ve mentioned this store before, but if you haven’t gone, let me just reiterate how fabulous it is! So in a recent visit, I found some fabulous looking tuna steaks. And I trusted it because if it was ick, I’d let my friend Matt know!

When I find good tuna steak, I like to grill it because it doesn’t fall apart on the grill like a lot of other kinds of fish. So I made a little mish mash marinade and threw them on the grill for a pretty easy tuna supper.

Here’s the breakdown:

2 tuna steaks
1 orange, zested and juiced
6 stalks rosemary, chopped finely
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1-2 Tbsp steak seasoning (Montreal)
3 Tbsp olive oil

Basically all you have to do is put all the kids in a large Ziploc bag and let it sit for a few hours. Get your grill screaming hot and grill the steaks for 4 minutes per side. ***This will get you a good medium to medium rarish on a 1” steak. Well that’s pretty much it folks. I served it with brussel sprouts prepared the same as in my past blog.



It’s quite yummy and pretty easy. I know a lot of people that don’t cook fish because they don’t know how. So if that’s you, try this one, it is as easy as it sounds.

Cheers!

***I must note that I love raw tuna. But in sashimi cuts. Having a whole tuna steak rare weirds me out. I think it’s a texture thing. But if you like it rare, by all means…


No comments:

Post a Comment