Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Do Naaaaht Eat Dairy with Fish.....or do.....?!?!


I normally have a very strict policy against dairy and fish. Not individually of course! In fact, dairy of any variety alone and fish of any variety alone are two of my faves! But you will not catch me eating shrimp tacos with cheese, parmesan baked fish or any other combination of dairy and fish/shellfish you can think of. It absolutely grosses me out! This is a very personal preference. For those of you who like parmesan encrusted trout, knock yourselves out! And there are tons of recipes online for them. But you will not find one on my blog. Well, until today-ish! I am momentarily suspending my HATE for dairy and fish combinations to bring you one truly delicious fish dinner that I urge you to try no matter what component you think you hate!

I found this recipe on my new iPad App for All Recipes. If you have an iPad and don’t use this App, definitely check it out! For me it’s been really useful because I can save recipes for later when I can’t think of anything to cook. This particular recipe is for Thai flavored tilapia. Well, I love Thai food and I think I’m keeping the tilapia farmers in business: done and done!

Here’s the breakdown as submitted by Tiny Poem:

1/2 cup coconut milk
12 whole almonds
2 tablespoons chopped white onion
1” fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric


1 teaspoon chopped fresh lemon grass
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

In a food processor or blender, combine the coconut milk, almonds, onion, ginger, turmeric, lemon grass, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Process until smooth.
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper on both sides, then place them skin-side up in the skillet. Pour the pureed sauce over the fish. Use a spatula to coat the fish evenly with the sauce. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the puree is thickened and fish flakes easily with a fork.

In a large skillet, I quickly sautéed snap peas and carrots with a little olive oil over high heat. Approximately 10 minutes, stirring frequently. It makes a healthy and very crispy, crunchy side dish for the fish!



I just want to say that no, I will not be attempting any other dairy and fish combos! This is all you get friends. But I really hope you enjoy it, I sure did!

No comments:

Post a Comment