Thursday, August 18, 2011

Extreme Fajitas


I am totally one of those people who loves to go out to those cheesy restaurants and order the sizzling plate of fajitas. 


There’s just something about my plate smoking when it arrives that kind of makes me want to clap my hands and dance around wearing a sombrero! The problem with these tasty moments of excitement is that the fajitas are usually coated in some random sauce-like stuff that I just cannot identify or convince myself is remotely healthy! As much as I’d like to close my eyes and exercise an “ignorance is bliss” mentality, because I truly enjoy them, I just can’t do it. Therefore, I decided to health them up for myself at home! So I threw on my sombrero and got to grilling. I know...seems strange and definitely isn’t a sizzling plate, but take a risk! They usually pay off!

Here’s the breakdown for enough for 3 maybe 4 small eaters, or me and one really hungry husband!

Ingredients
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
or
the equivalent in steak

1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 spicy pepper
*whatever you like best is totally fine, I used a red Serrano, a bit hotter than a jalapeno
1 red onion sliced into thick rings
½ handful chopped cilantro
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp cayenne
s&p
olive oil

Isn't it beautiful!!!!
Cut your chicken or steak into thin pieces. If you’re using chicken, slice it in half horizontally to make whole size thin pieces. Cut each bell pepper in half and remove seeds. Leave the spicy pepper completely whole. Those guys don’t do well in pieces on the grill…tend to fall through the grates. In a gallon size Ziploc bag, mix the cinnamon, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, cilantro, and s&p with enough olive oil to make a sludge-like consistency. Throw in the meat and all the vegetables except the onion. Shake it like a salt shaker until everything is equally coated. You can let this mix marinade as long as you want, but give it at least 30 minutes. When you’re ready to grill, spray some olive oil spray on your onion pieces and put everything on the grill together. You may want to wait until about half way through cooking before you put your spicy pepper on the grill if its skinny like mine was. Grill everything until done, about 10 – 12 minutes total. Slice up your grilled goodness and throw it on some tortillas with some guac, salsa, fat free sour cream! Skip the cheese if you can…there’s totally enough flavor so that you won’t miss the cheese!

Not only is this meal super impressive when you put all the food from the grill onto a plate, but it’s so flavorful! You’ll hardly miss the sizzling iron plate!

Finished Product! Didn't last long on that plate!!



No comments:

Post a Comment