Thursday, January 2, 2014

Jingle Bell Brunch

Right after they postponed the Jingle Bell Run in Somerville, my work/running posse and I decided that if we couldn’t run then drink together, we’d just pot luck brunch and drink together. Easy solution to what was a total bummer in addition to the mound of wet heavy snow we received that pushed the race back a week! Lucky for me everyone had already planned on being in Somerville, so I suggested my house as a venue knowing I wouldn’t want to go into the city! The only one with a contingency was Ellen who didn’t want to come if I was making super health wheat grass kind of food! I assured her it wouldn’t be wheat grass but couldn’t promise anything on the healthy part. It should be noted that I met Ellen my first week at work and I happened to be in the middle of a 21 Day Cleanse so I continually catch jokes at the office about my eating habits!

So my goal for the afternoon was to make something healthy that everyone would love and I think I succeeded, but I think Gia in particular liked it more than the rest of my crew! Although who would know after numerous bottles of champagne?.....don’t ask about the dance party in my living room….well party might be a stretch, mostly it was Matt and I! It was a seriously wonderful day with some of my most favorite people in the world!


Ingredients
1-1.5 sweet potato, shredded
20 eggs, mixed
½ roasted chicken meat, diced
1 ½ red bell pepper, diced
1 8oz container sliced baby bello mushrooms
2 tsp dried thyme
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 Tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp ground pepper
Coconut oil

Directions
Shred the sweet potatoes in your food processor. Wrap them all with a couple layers of paper towel and squeeze. Unwrap and replace with more paper towel then let sit for an hour or more. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. In the meantime, dice up the chicken and peppers, toss them together with the mushrooms. Then whisk up your eggs with thyme, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. After your potatoes have dried out some, spray the bottom of a 9x13” glass baking pan with coconut oil then press down a layer of shredded potato on the bottom and sides of the dish. Bake just the potatoes for about 15 minutes or until they start turning brown and crisp. Put the chicken, mushroom, and pepper mixture in the pan on top of the potatoes, then pour the eggs over top. The eggs should just cover the chicken mixture. Bake for a little over an hour, but check it by touching the top. If it’s firm and there’s no liquid on top, it’s done!

Best served with mimosa and your pals!
































Salud!


No comments:

Post a Comment