Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Kegs & Eggs


I have had the wild fortune of having two mentors in my life. Some people only ever have one, some never experience help like that. Almost everything I know about law can be credited to two people, Brian Keane and David Kaplan. I worked for them both at The Kaplan/Bond Group. And these two guys could literally not be less alike! So it made for a perfect ying yang type of learning. I’m positive I have a whole blog dedicated to Brian for another day, but today I’m going to talk about David. This character goes by various names, Uncle Dave, Davey, the old guy, but I most affectionately call him DB, as do most who consider him family. On the surface he comes across as the tough guy who got a little crotchety over the years but when you get to the core he’s a caring, funny funny guy and a great teacher. And he should be, he’s been in this business about two and a half times as long as I’ve been walking the earth! Although some of the “rules” you learn from him are totally made up in DB land! When I was working there, Electra and I used to regularly try to get our bosses to call it an office holiday and throw a few back. Didn’t work too often, so we became inordinately good at coming up with cacamamey reasons!

One of my absolute favorite stories is the day we went into DB to talk about a possible St. Patrick’s Day “office holiday”….hey, about half the office was Irish seems valid! Anyway, the discussion quickly got to a Kegs & Eggs themed party! DB was soooo confused about this concept. So we quickly explained that you eat green eggs and drink beer for breakfast. I may have never seen him laugh so hard in my 4 years at that firm. He was totally on board……not so much for breakfast, but it was definitely a small battle won! Electra and I congratulated ourselves on a job well done and began to plan the party.

So obviously I was going to have to come up with some kind of green egg concoction that would make it to work and be ok heated up in the toaster oven. That’s when I decided to make a quiche with spinach to make it green! So I mixed up eggs, feta and spinach and took it in. DB literally talked about this thing for like a year afterwards he loved it so much! And this comes from a man that I used to sit in front of to make sure he was eating! He’d just get busy and not eat…Imagine, forgetting to eat!?!? I’ll NEVER suffer from that particular problem.

So I decided to one night have a throw back to the Kegs & Eggs minus the keg and make a quiche for dinner. But I didn’t really want spinach. So I came up with the much more veggie laden version that I had for dinner tonight.

Ingredients
3 whole eggs
7 egg whites
1 ½ crowns broccoli
1 roasted red pepper, chopped
½ green pepper, chopped
½ white onion, diced
2 green onions, sliced
6 oz grilled chicken, chopped
¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
2 tsp oregano
olive oil
s&p

First off, you can use a pie crust if you’re not worried about it or just put it all in a glass pie pan without it. Cut the broccoli into big pieces. Coat broccoli, green pepper pieces and white onion lightly in olive oil and roast at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, beat the whole eggs and egg whites. Put ½ the feta, the eggs, green onions, red pepper, chicken, oregano and s&p into a large bowl. Take the broccoli combo out of the oven. Chop some to break the broccoli pieces down a bit smaller. Mix those in with all the other ingredients. Pour into your pie pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Bake for another 10 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting.

 
This thing was so yummy and even with my big eater husband, we had leftovers! Maybe I’ll take them to DB!

No comments:

Post a Comment