Thursday, January 30, 2014

Ooodles of Zoodles

I can’t even tell you how many of my friends have insisted that I buy a zucchini noodle “zoodle” making machine. A whole ton of my friends here are Paleo and hopefully reading my blog week to week. Those friends that are Paleo have insisted that I try this since I love eating spaghetti squash. So, I’m an old school TV show watcher and whole idea of that machine reminds me of a hilarious Cosby Show episode where Cliff is watching infomercials….”Just $19.99! $19.99!” Anyway, I am a big supporter of the As Seen on TV stuff (come by and check out my Turbie Twist), but I just can’t seem to get down for a machine that does something my mandolin can do. So I’m all like, “Yeah, I’ll just make the zoodles on the mandolin, NBD!” And then I nearly slice my hand off doing so. But however you cut your zoodles, do try this recipe. I’m no Italian, but I’ll basically put bacon on anything. So buckle up for this delicious one!

Ingredients
5 zucchinis
12 oz bay scallops
¾ lb bacon, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp  bacon grease
½ egg, whisked
1 tsp dried basil
½ tsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
S& lots of fresh P

Directions
On your zoodle machine or on your mandolin, slice zucchini into spaghetti sized noodles. Then place them on a cooling rack over a baking pan. Sprinkle liberally with salt and let drain for 30 minutes. You’ll notice the water colleting on the zoodles as well as dripping down. After about 30 minutes, wrap handfuls of them in paper towel and get mas much of the moisture off them as possible. When you unwrap them, you’ll notice they are not firm anymore, but more like cooked spaghetti. It’s amazing!

Drain the scallops, wrap them in paper towel as well and press them to get all the water out. Then season with dried basil. Let sit until last minute.

Dice the bacon before you cook it. Then brown over medium-high heat until crispy. Drain, but save the excess bacon grease. In a pan over medium heat sauté garlic with bacon grease stirring constantly. Just for a couple minutes, you don’t want to burn the garlic. Add zoodles to pan and sauté for 3 minutes. In a separate pan over medium-high heat melt coconut oil and add scallops. Cook for a minute or two per side. Meanwhile, turn off the heat from the zoodles and stir in the egg. Mix in the bacon bits and scallops. Stir well to get everything mixed together. Garnish with lots of fresh pepper and fresh parsley.

I think this could easily serve 4 people if you served it as more of a smaller side portion with a fresh salad. The crunch and salt of the bacon was perfect with the richness of the egg. It’s a tiny bit on the rich side, but I’m Big Eater Small Body, so I ate a lot! I’d suggest making a lot and eating until you’re done! Maybe I am Italian! 




It was super fun to twirl them on my fork too! It's the little things!



Salud!


No comments:

Post a Comment